I Will NOT Be Censored!!!
Do I have your attention? Good!
Last night we had a semi-heated discussed on my PERSONAL facebook page. I highlight personal because I also have a blog/business facebook page, which is a bit less controversial. But hey, my personal fb acct is my business and my right to share controversial stuff if I so choose!
The topic was GMOs. I shared a nurse/farm wife fb status of her tour of the Monsanto facility in Hawaii. If you have followed me here for any length of time, you know that I am VERY anti-GMO and very outspoken about the harmful effects of pesticides on humans, animals and the plant.
Apparently, this person didn't like comments made by my friends or myself and took it upon herself to tell us all we needed "less organic cherrios and more Jesus." She then proceeded to tell us all about the wonders of GMOs.
First, NO ONE is going to tell me what I can and cannot say. I am very opinionated and have a whole lotta facts to back me up!
Second, if all it would take were a few bitch-slaps to GMO farmers to get them to stop poisoning us then I would be the FIRST person in line to start the slapping.
Monsanto and other giant chemical companies spend Millions of dollars every year to promote the benefits of GMOs and their toxic pesticide counter-parts. They have hired full time bloggers, scientists and PR machines to convince people that it's okay to continue poisoning the earth while raking in the profits.
Let me also say this, it is not my job to judge. I make an effort every day to eat healthy and GMO free and sometimes I still consume not-so-healthy foods. Sometimes we go out for dinner or over to eat with family. No way am I going to be rude and turn away food just because it isn't completely free of GMOs.
No one is perfect, especially not me. All I can do it give it 110%.
That being said, it is my mission to EDUCATE every day and to everyone who will listen. Below are just a few educational articles to help you understand about the potential dangers of GMOs and their toxic pesticide counterparts.
In the U.S., GMOs are in as much as 80% of conventional processed food.
High-Risk Crops (in commercial production; ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011):
- Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Ethanol, Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”), High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins, Yeast Products. SOURCE
Food & Water Watch: Greenwashing Genetically Engineered Crops
90 Day Study on GMOs
Several convergent data appear to indicate liver and kidney problems as end points of GMO diet effects in the above-mentioned experiments. This was confirmed by our meta-analysis of all the in vivo studies published, which revealed that the kidneys were particularly affected, concentrating 43.5% of all disrupted parameters in males, whereas the liver was more specifically disrupted in females (30.8% of all disrupted parameters).
GMOs are Killing Bees, Butterflies, Birds and...?
65 Health Risks of GM Foods
Monsanto's RoundUp Found in 75 of Air & Rain Samples
Toxic Pesticides from GM Food Crops found in Unborn Babies
From the Institute for Responsible Technology
New information in the updated report includes:
- A review that is claimed by pro-GMO lobbyists to show that 1,700 studies show GM foods are as safe in fact shows nothing of the sort. Instead many of the 1,700 studies cited show evidence of risk. The review also excludes or glosses over important scientific controversies over GMO safety issues. (p. 102)
- A review purportedly showing that GM foods are safe on the basis of long-term animal studies in fact shows evidence of risk and uses unscientific double standards to reach a conclusion that is not justified by the data. (p. 161)
- A laboratory study in human cells shows that very low levels of glyphosate (the main chemical ingredient of Roundup herbicide, which most GM crops are engineered to tolerate) mimicked the hormone estrogen and stimulated the growth of breast cancer cells. The level of glyphosate that had this effect was below the level allowed in drinking water in Europe and far below the level allowed in the USA. It was also below the level found in GM glyphosate-tolerant soy, which is imported into Europe for animal feed and human food. If confirmed in animal studies, this finding would overturn regulatory assumptions of safe levels of glyphosate. (p. 221)
- A rat feeding study led by Professor Gilles-Eric Séralini, which found toxic effects from a GM maize and tiny amounts of the Roundup herbicide it is grown with, was retracted by a journal editor for unscientific reasons. Yet the study is far stronger and more detailed than many industry studies that are accepted as proof of safety for GMOs. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) had to reject the study in order to protect its own previous opinions on this and other GMOs, for reasons explained in the report. The findings of this study, if confirmed, would overturn regulatory assumptions of safe levels of glyphosate and Roundup. (pp. 94, 147)
- Claims that an EU-funded research project shows GMOs are safe are not evidence-based, since the project did not even test the safety of any commercialized GMOs. Some animal testing data gathered by the project actually reveal health risks from the GMOs tested. (p. 166)
- Claims that Europe is becoming a “museum” of farming because of its reluctance to embrace GM crops are shown to be nonsensical by research showing that Europe’s mostly non-GM agriculture out-yields the USA’s mostly GM agriculture with less pesticide use. Instead, it is the GM-adopting USA that is falling behind Europe in terms of productivity and sustainability. (pp. 232–233)
- Risks from an important new type of GMO that is designed to silence genes are not being properly assessed by regulators. (p. 78)
- Contrary to claims by GMO proponents, the real reason GM golden rice isn’t available has nothing to do with anti-GMO activists and everything to do with basic research and development problems. (p. 197)
- Conventional breeding continues to outstrip GM in delivering crops that yield well, resist disease, are nutritious, and tolerate drought and other types of extreme weather. (pp. 284, 318–321)
- Crop genetics are only part of the solution to our food and agriculture challenges. The other part is agroecological farming methods that build soil and focus on growing a diversity of naturally healthy and resilient crops. (p. 303)
Risks and Side Effects of Genetically Modified Foods
There is no Scientific Consensus about the Safety of GMOs
GMO Science - Studies & Research
My own articles:
The EPA just Approved AGENT ORANGE Pesticide
Does Monsanto Control Our Food in the US?
What are GMOs...Just the Facts
When I first learned about GMOs I was super freaked out but then I got busy. I started growing a few things on my patio. When we moved, I made sure we had a yard to grow more food. I started Mary's Heirloom Seeds over 4 years ago. What started as a tiny non-gmo seed company has GROWN into an education center and go-to small business for organic growing.
I am thrilled and proud of the direction we are headed. My husband and I work very hard to help our community and our world grow organic.
If you have additional questions about getting started or would like more info please feel free to ask. As always, I am happy to help.
If you'd like to check out some of our gardening tips, check out our fb page.
Or Sign up for our E-Newsletter